The Soufriere Primary School was on Wednesday April 26, 2017, officially adopted by the Caribbean Aqua- Terrestrial Solutions (CATS) and the German Development Cooperation (GIZ) as a reef guardian school. This school will become the lead primary institution for championing environmental education in Dominica. CATS aims to strengthen its partnership with the school and develop capacity to execute a wide range of projects that will positively impact the environment. This collaboration also aims to help:
- create awareness in the community
- monitor environmental quality
- restore affected ecosystems
- promote recycle and reuse of non biodegradable items
- projects at school to educate the people in the community
- Become the lead school in Dominica on protecting the land and sea ecosystems
Students also participated in a march within the community to help raise awareness of the importance on the marine reserve and the surrounding watershed. A number of short addresses were made to the mark the occasion.